A Brief History of Tozier's
Rood's Ice Cream Stand was established in 1938 by George Rood and his family. In the 1940's they added cabins and a dining room to capture the increasing tourist trade. Two orphaned black bear cubs were the main attraction and were used to attract visitors to the business.
In 1946 the property was purchased by Rip and Gwen Tozier. They expanded the dining room and added a window service. Rip and Gwen began a food service that remains a tradition today. Items still featured include Fresh Ipswich Seafood, Tozier's Lobster Salad Rolls, and New England Clam Chowder.
The Carroll and Helen Burns family of Boston purchased the business in 1969, and operated the restaurant and window service until their daughter Kerry and husband Keith took over in 1984. They ran the business for 20 years, embracing the time honored traditions the Tozier's established.
In March of 2005, Tozier's Restaurant was bought by the Campbell family. They bring excitement and enthusiasm to the business, vowing to continue the Tozier philosophy with fresh food, friendly staff, and innovative ideas.
This is quite the venture for the Campbells, but with creative minds and hard work, Tozier's restaurant will remain a favorite spot for locals and tourists alike in the White River Valley.